Dinner Tonight: Oven Fried Chicken, Pasta Alfredo, Steamed Asparagus, Salad
The definition of Fettuccine Alfredo: dish consisting of fettuccine in a rich cream sauce with Parmesan cheese.
A good deal of the time, I plan a meal based on a what I have on hand that day trying to include a protein, a veggie, and a carb. Today it was chicken breasts, asparagus, and about 1/2 a pound of cooked spaghetti left over in the refrigerator. The headline of the current Cooking Light magazine headlines laying on my coffee table reads, " Chicken Makeover, 25 Quick and Easy Weeknight Inspirations". Perfect! I picked it up for ideas. None of the chicken recipes inspired me, but there was a Fettuccine with Mushrooms and Hazelnuts recipes that looked interesting. I couldn't use hazelnuts since Clark developed an allergy to them a couple of years ago, but I had a package of fresh mushrooms as well as some dried ones in the pantry. I had found my inspiration for the carb portion of tonight's dinner! My critic loved it. It could stand alone as meal!
2 cups cooked pasta
1 tablespoon Butter
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
8 oz package of mushrooms, sliced
2 cups dried exotic mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup Parmigiana cheese, grated
1/4 cup whipping cream
1) Soak dried mushrooms in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
2) Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes.
3) Add both fresh and dried mushrooms to pan and cook until mushrooms start browning, about 5 minutes.
4) Sprinkle with flour and stir until flour absorbed.
5) Add chicken broth and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted.
6) Stir in cooked pasta and cream.