4 cups coarsley chopped apples
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup Crisco oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I always use peacans)
- Combine apples and sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl. combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Beat one minute at medium speed.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients, stir, then half the apple mixture. Repeat.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Bake in a 13x9 inch pan that has been greased and floured at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until cake test done with a toothpick. DO NOT UNDERBAKE.
- When cake is completely cool, spread on frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Stir together until smooth:
- 13oz cream cheese (1/3 fat works fine), room temperature
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), room temperature
- 2 t. of vanilla
- 1 and 3/4 cups powdered sugar